The student will develop responsible citizenship and develop skills for historical and geographical analysis including the ability to
- identify and interpret artifacts and primary and secondary source documents to understand events in history;
- determine cause and effect relationships;
- compare and contrast historical events;
- draw conclusions and make generalizations;
- make connections between past and presents;
- sequence events in Virginia History;
- interpret ideas and events from different historical perspectives;
- evaluate and discuss issues orally and in writing;
- analyze and interpret maps to explain relationships among landforms, water features, climactic characteristics, and historical events.
A Historic Album of Virginia. Brookfield: The Mellbrook Press, 1995.
A history of Virginia from its early exploration and settlement to today is presented in this book about the Commonwealth.
Virginia: Hello U.S.A. Minneapolis: Lerner Publication, 2002.
An introduction to the land, history, people, and environment of Virginia is covered in this book of photographs and information about Virginia.